Thursday, January 24, 2008

Child of the 80's

Yay 80's well late 80's but still, growing up in this decade people started getting really into team sports and activities. Going to a child's baseball or soccer game became a social event, more and more kids started to play so more and more parents started to turn out to watch. Enrolling your children in ballet or cub scouts started to become a norm for most families, parents got a great chance to let there children discover there own interests. The children in this decade are very similar in the aspect of team sports and doing multiple activities. Starting at a young age kids are enrolled in a variety of after school and weekend activities, and usually most pick one or two they develop a strong liking to and continue through into there teens with them.

A big difference I see in children of the 80's and children now is how fast they "grow-up". When I was younger I looked at myself as a kid until I turned 16 and could drive. Whereas I see more and more little kids grown up before there youth should be over. Little girls start wearing makeup at 9 or 10 thinking it makes them older, I didn't wear makeup till I was 14. The way kids are dressing older at a younger age and how they feel the need to date earlier are examples of how fast kids are growing up these days compared to back when.

If this continues on, these kids wont have a chance to be children. They will eventually go from being little kids to being young adults and after years of believing they are grown up we will eventually start treating them as so, inevitably loosing out on being just a kid. A side effect of this is as they grow up they might abandon responsibility in an attempt to regain there lost childhood.

4 comments:

Rachelle said...

I agree with you. Kids grow up fast these days. I remember shopping for a holiday dress for my 7 year old daughter. I just wanted a traditional holiday dress but I couldn't find any for size 7 or 8. The ones that are on the rack are like teenager's clothes (chiffon black skirt and sexy tops). I just couldn't believe that I can't find a traditional holiday dress (long sleeves, puffed skirt with ribbons and all). They were all in the size 2 - 5 sections. Plus the fact that TV shows like Hannah Montana and High School Musical are all about clothes, make-up, boys, music. I told my daughter to stop growing up...LOL! I want her to be a young-spirited innocent child.

Andrea said...

I think the majority of the class agrees...the kids are growing up way too fast! I have a 10 month old daughter and it terrifies me to think of what things are going to be like for her when she is a teenager.

Peggy L. Pullen said...

I agree with children growing up too fast. I think that it is interesting how our class is composed of people who grew up in several different decades, yet we all say the same thing! I think that as children, all we want to do is grow up. As adults, we really want our children to stay young as long as possible, possibly to enjoy the chldhood that we tried to skip (and now realize how precious it was!).

dsingley said...

I love your final statement that if children are growing up to fast will they one day leave responsibility to regain their childhood. I think that this is an interesting thing to think about. We may be seeing the start of this with the lax view of the workplace and jobs.